HCC has been operating its Southern California Regional Program in 2002. Host organizations are located throughout the region, including the San Fernando Valley, Greater Los Angeles, Inland Empire, and San Diego County. Paid internships are available at a wide array of organizations and cover all areas of healthcare. Host organizations have a commitment to diversity and want to support the professional development of young talent in healthcare by providing practical experience. Our host organizations also see HCC as a pipeline to hire graduating students for entry-level staff positions.
As in Northern and Central Valley California, we recruit from all the University of California and California State University campuses, and private colleges in Southern California. These include UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, and UC Santa Barbara. Cal State campuses include Los Angeles, Long Beach, Fullerton, Northridge, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly Pomona and San Diego State. California community college students are also selected as interns.
We partner with the University of California, Los Angeles, Fielding School of Public Health to offer workshops and provide advice and support to our interns.
Our host organizations in Southern California have included:
- Alta Med Health Services – Los Angeles
- American Heart Association – Los Angeles
- Community Clinic Association of San Bernadino County – San Bernadino
- Insure the Uninsured Project (ITUP) – Santa Monica
- Harbor UCLA Medical Center
- Inland Empire Health Plan – Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Kaiser Permanente – multiple locations including East LA, Santa Monica, Pasadena, South Central Los Angeles, Cerritos, Inglewood, Pasadena, Anaheim, Fontana, Riverside and San Diego
- Los Angeles Free Clinic – Los Angeles
- La Maestra Family Clinic – San Diego
- Mid-City Community Action Network (CAN) – San Diego
- Northeast Valley Health Corporation – San Fernando
- Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital – Whittier
- Rady Children’s Hospital – San Diego
- Riverside Community Hospital – Inland Empire/Riverside
- South Central Family Health Center – Los Angeles
- White Memorial Medical Center – Los Angeles