Central California Valley
HCC launched its Central Valley California Program in 2008. Students from throughout the region participate in the program. Internships are offered in health organizations and communities including Stockton, Madera, Merced, Fresno, and Bakersfield. The region has grown steadily since 2008, and each year internships are offered in new cities throughout the valley. HCC is working to offer internships in other areas and expand the number of opportunities available in the region.
HCC recruits from all universities in the region, including the University of California, California State University, and private institutions. Cal State Fresno and Bakersfield are well represented among our applicant pool as are students from UC Merced and UC Santa Cruz. Many students that attend college in other parts of California or the country return home to the Central Valley for the summer. Students from the Valley also take advantage of internships in other HCC regions.
HCC has partnered with the Central Valley Health Policy Institute in Fresno State’s Department of Health Science and the Latino Center for Medical Education and Research at UCSF Fresno and Cal State Fresno’s Health Careers Opportunity Program to make the program possible. We want to provide support for students from the Doctors Academy, HCOP and other local pipeline programs to get valuable exposure, experience and support in college and continue advancement toward their health career goals.
HCC also partners with a diverse set of leading health organizations in the area to provide meaningful experiences. Examples of previous intern host organizations include:
- Camarena Health Center – Madera
- Central California Alliance for Health – Merced
- Central Valley Health Policy Institute – Fresno
- Clinica Sierra Vista – Fresno and Bakersfield
- Community Medical Centers – Fresno
- Fathers and Families of San Joaquin – Stockton
- Fresno Barrios Unidos – Fresno
- Fresno County Department of Public Health – Fresno
- Fresno Healthy Communities Access Partners (HCAP) – Fresno
- Fresno Heart & Surgical Hospital – Fresno
- Fresno Interdenominational Refugee Ministries (FIRM) – Fresno
- Golden Valley Health Centers – Merced
- Kaiser Permanente – Fresno and Modesto
- Kern County Department of Public Health – Bakersfield
- Madera Community Hospital – Madera
- Merced County Department of Public Health – Merced
- UCSF Fresno Latino Center for Medical Education and Research – Fresno